The La Plata Food Policy Council meetings
• October 10, 2012
• December 12, 2012
• February 13, 2013
• April 10, 2013
All meetings will be held from 11:30-1:30
All meetings will be in the Animas Room at the Fairgrounds
LPFPC Focus Areas & Action Steps:
1. Pick one policy recommendation from the Comp Plan to move forward on with the County.
2. Data Gathering: Create a group of people (2-3) who are willing to visit producers on their farms in the late fall after the harvest, and interview them about: obstacles they face, County policy and regulatory pros and cons, actual costs vs. return, etc. The Colorado Food Systems Advisory Council (COFSAC) told us that they know other communities who have done this and will link us
3. Educational efforts:
a. Food Policy 101 PowerPoint: help educate us and the community about Food Policy issues. Again the COFSAC has resources for us.
b. Farm Stand Brochure: Brian has started gathering info on the City and Council Farm Stands policies that we can put into a brochure to help producers know what they can and can’t do as far as farm stands.
c. Cottage Food Bill education: Work on disseminating info to producers on the Cottage Food Bill. This is the Colo dept of public health fact sheet: http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/cp/CottageFoodFactSheetGuidance_revc_%20041312.pdf
4. Meet with City and County Planners: this may be an “Eat and Talk” potluck or inviting planners to our meetings, or both. We need to learn more about what they do and they can learn about our interests and concerns. Learn about “Use
by Right” and its implications.
5. Do some visioning: about what we want the local food system ideally to look like in 5 and 10 years—then strategize about how to get there. This may be a good Eat and Talk topic.
6. Other: keep up on: Land Link docs, Community Garden, City Land Use Code rewrite, County Land Use Code rewrite, and other local food projects.